Your brake pads are integral safety features, and changing them when they are worn out keeps you safe and confident on the road. They contact and transmit the pressure and force required by the brake rotors and clamp pads to stop the car. Of course, your brake pads will wear out depending on their everyday use, the driving conditions, and the driver's habits. All the same, it might be quite frustrating having to replace on brake pad while the others are in great shape.
Causes of Uneven Brake Pad Wear
- A failing caliper
- Disc Thickness Variation (DTV)
- Misaligned brake pads
- Debris might accumulate at your caliper piston, making it stick and less efficient
- Corroded slide pins
So, What Does Mean When Your Brake Pads Wear Unevenly?
When your brake pads wear out unevenly, you will experience break pulls (uneven braking), which means that the brake pads on one side perform better than those on the other side. Consequently, rather than your vehicle slowing down and eventually stopping along a straight line, it tends to pull to one side of the road. Suffice to say, your car turning to the left indicates that the left side brakes are in good condition and performing better than those on the right.
How to Prevent Uneven Brake Pad Wear
If you want to make the most out of your brake pads, you might want to make a few changes to how you drive. Here are some brilliant pointers to guide you through.
- Drive calmly, conforming to the traffic flow to prevent unnecessary sudden breaking.
- Maintain reasonable following distance with the car ahead of you to facilitate a nice, easy and smooth stop whenever need be.
- Maintain a low speed, especially when traffic is heavy on the highway, to prevent sudden braking.
- Get rid of any unnecessary weight burdening your vehicle.
Contact the Experts
Maintaining your braking system in great shape and timely replacement of worn-out brake pads is crucial to your road safety. Do not take chances. If you need brake service and repair, we invite you to drop by our auto repair shop today for quality services.