The purpose of a throttle position sensor is to ensure that the correct mixture of air and fuel is delivered to your car's engine in order for your vehicle to perform at its optimal best. It is a crucial part of your automobile's fuel management system and is located on the butterfly spindle/shaft.
When this sensor is not functioning as it should, you will experience clear symptoms that translate into the performance, or should we say, lack of performance of your car. This component needs to be replaced at the first signs of failure. Depending on what exactly is wrong, the outcome of a faulty throttle position sensor is that you would either be stuck on the side of the road, or your vehicle could start to accelerate uncontrollably.
When the throttle position sensor of a car does not function as it should, then a car's throttle body will not function properly, either. If left unattended, the faulty throttle position sensor might cause your car to shake heavily. This in turn will put a lot of pressure on the motor and transmission mount, eventually causing it to give out and requiring you to fork out additional money, to repair these issues as well.
Therefore, it is important to familiarize yourself with some of the important signs, that your throttle position sensor needs to be replaced:
- The first and probably most obvious sign that something is wrong, would be your check engine light switching on, intermittently. This sign could accompany several other signs that would clue you in on the problem.
- Your car will accelerate but it will not exceed a certain speed. This speed will usually be a low speed, around 20-30 MPH.
- Your engine might stall, idle slowly or misfire when your car is stopped.
- The car might accelerate itself, hesitate to accelerate, or lack power when you are trying to accelerate.
- You may also experience difficulty in changing gears.
- There may be a dramatic drop in your cars' fuel economy as a result of a faulty throttle position sensor.
If you need throttle position sensor replacement, give our auto repair shop a call today!