Car Tune Up Service
McSpadden's Tire & Automotive - Austin and Buda, TX Tune Ups
Is your car acting kind of blah? Does it not seem to have the same “get up and go” that it used to have? Are cars passing you by on the Austin highways as you sputter along? Maybe it is having a little trouble wanting to start in the morning?
McSpadden's Tire & Automotive of Austin, TX, knows how crucial it is to keep your vehicle at top performance. That is why we offer top-quality, professional tune-ups for both domestic and foreign vehicles.
Extend the Life of Your Vehicle & Its Performance with an Engine Tune-Up
No matter whether you are driving a car, truck, sports utility vehicle (SUV), or van, a tune-up is an important part of preventative car maintenance that can greatly help maintain your engine’s performance and extend its life. Whether you have a newer-model vehicle with fuel injection and a high-tech, computer-controlled engine or an older car with manually adjustable timing, a tune-up ensures that the engine’s main systems are all running optimally.
So, if you are looking for a tune-up in Austin, you’ve come to the right place! The Automated Service Excellence (ASE)-certified technicians here at McSpadden's Tire & Automotive offer complete vehicle tune-ups to get your car back to operating like it did when it was new.
We will inspect your vehicle’s engine systems and give you a free estimate of what tune-up services need to be done. You choose what you want, and we make it happen – it’s that easy! We have all the best parts for your vehicles, with a wide variety to choose from, and we’ve got several shops around Austin for your convenience.
What Exactly Is a Car Tune-Up?
Generally speaking, an engine tune-up service focuses on the components and systems that control how the engine starts and runs. The goal of a tune-up is to ensure that the engine is getting the right amounts of spark, fuel, and air. The service consists of two parts: an initial inspection and then the tune-up itself.
The initial inspection is a visual inspection of the engine’s ignition components, fuel system components, fluid (oil and coolant) levels, and air filters. What is found during this inspection of your vehicle determines exactly what needs to be done during the tune-up service. Then, bad components will be replaced and adjustments made to ensure that both the ignition system and fuel system are operating in optimal condition and that the engine is getting enough airflow.
Over the last several decades, the exact definition of a tune-up has evolved as automobile technology has advanced. The type of vehicle you have and how old it is will determine exactly what services are included in your vehicle’s tune-up.
For example, in older vehicles, the carburetor periodically needs to be “tuned” and the ignition timing manually adjusted for optimal engine performance, while a tune-up in newer cars with computer-controlled systems involves replacing or adjusting other components as needed since the timing cannot be manually adjusted.
If it’s time to bring your vehicle in for a tune-up, schedule your appointment online today for service at your closest McSpadden's Tire & Automotive location.
Common Services That Are Involved in a Tune-Up
The exact services that a tune-up will entail will depend on the type of vehicle, the age of the vehicle, and what the initial inspection reveals. Some of the common parts of an engine tune-up can include:
- Spark plug replacement (and replacement of the spark plug wires and coils as necessary)
- Replacement of the distributor cap, rotor, and breaker points (in older vehicles that do not have a computer-controlled ignition system)
- Fuel filter replacement
- Fuel system service
- Replacement of the engine air filter
- Replacement of the in-cabin air filter
- Positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve replacement
- Replacement of worn/damaged belts and hoses as necessary
- Oil change (including oil filter replacement)
- Fluid flush/replacement as necessary (transmission fluid, coolant, power steering fluid, brake fluid, etc.)
How Often Is an Engine Tune-Up Needed?
Servicing an engine that is greatly in need of a tune-up can significantly boost engine performance and restore your vehicle’s lost fuel economy. Plus, if your engine is running in optimal shape today, you’ll lessen the chance of costly repairs being needed in the future.
Since the answer varies depending on the specific vehicle, the best place to look to determine how often your engine needs a tune-up is your vehicle owner’s manual. This is where you will find the manufacturer-recommended maintenance intervals.
In general, newer vehicles that have electronic ignition and computer-controlled fuel injection can go anywhere from 25,000 miles to 100,000 miles without needing a major engine tune-up done. Alternatively, older vehicles with non-electronic ignitions need to have a tune-up done every 10,000 to 12,000 miles, roughly once every year.
Our technicians can help you determine what the optimal tune-up schedule would be for your vehicle to help it run its best.
Signs That Your Vehicle May Need a Tune-Up
It’s never a good feeling when you notice that your vehicle isn’t running the way it should be. Knowing what the indicators are of an engine that may need a tune-up will allow you to act quickly and prevent much bigger, more costly repairs down the road.
There are some specific red flags to pay attention to, and if any of them are happening in your vehicle, bring your vehicle in as soon as possible. These signs include:
- Dashboard warning light(s) illuminated: Newer vehicles that have computer-controlled systems also come with helpful dashboard warning lights that alert you of any vehicle issues. Some of the lights indicate quick-fix, minor issues, but if the Check Engine light is illuminated, this usually indicates a more serious issue. If you have a warning light illuminated on your dashboard, come into your closest McSpadden's Tire & Automotive location as soon as you can to prevent a simple issue from quickly turning into a much larger problem.
- Strange engine sounds: Another indicator of possible trouble is unusual sounds like knocking, squealing, or pinging coming from the engine. Our expert technicians can pinpoint exactly what is causing the sounds and determine the service that may be needed.
- Engine stalling: If your engine is unexpectedly stalling and cutting off, it could be caused by a fuel pump issue, not enough power coming from the battery, or ignition issues. If this happens, get your vehicle to the nearest McSpadden's Tire & Automotive shop, and we can determine the cause.
- Misfiring engine: When one or more of the engine cylinders fails to provide enough power, an engine misfire will happen. This is most often caused by overly worn spark plugs. With worn spark plugs, more voltage is needed to jump the gap and deliver the necessary voltage. So, when a misfire happens, you may feel a noticeable loss of power and a shaking sensation, as well as hear a popping or loud backfire noise. An engine defect or problem in the fuel system can also cause an engine misfire. If you are experiencing frequent misfires, a tune-up is needed as soon as possible. Ignoring a misfiring engine can quickly cause further, much more costly damage.
- Less fuel efficiency: When an engine issue is present, you will usually experience a diminished fuel efficiency as well and will need gas more frequently. If you notice this starting to happen, save yourself the increased fuel cost and bring your vehicle in for an engine tune-up.
- Hesitation while accelerating: If your vehicle momentarily lags before taking off when you press on the gas pedal, it may not be getting the proper power, fuel, or airflow that is needed to run properly. A tune-up will help correct this issue and help ensure it doesn’t happen again anytime soon.
- Rough shifting: Vehicles with an automatic transmission system should normally handle the gear-shifting process almost unnoticeably. If the vehicle’s shifting suddenly feels rough and like you’re being thrown around, the transmission system needs to be checked and serviced right away.
If you have recently noticed any of the red flags above, schedule your tune-up appointment at McSpadden's Tire & Automotive as soon as possible. Our ASE-certified master technicians can perform the necessary tune-up services that your engine needs and help prevent further expensive damage. Our goal is to help keep your vehicle running its best for as long as possible.
Schedule Your Tune-Up Appointment Today!
Your car is important to you; it is your lifeline for getting to places all around Texas. We want to make sure it keeps doing that for years to come. The easiest and most affordable way to do that is with a car tune-up from McSpadden's Tire & Automotive!
Our technicians have the experience, the knowledge, and the professional tools and state-of-the-art equipment to do the comprehensive tune-up that your vehicle’s engine needs.
We offer easy and convenient ways for you to schedule a tune-up service. You can give us a call, make an appointment online, or just drop in and see our friendly faces. Whichever way you choose, we will be ready with our expert staff to give you quick and easy service!